CAN SHROOMS KILL YOU???

P

PinkBuffalo

Quote: Originally posted by SHroomClouds on 2003-Mar-16
Quote: Originally posted by Miss America on 2003-Mar-16Quick question- Can taking shrooms kill you?
yes they can any type of mushrooms are poison.
every mushroom is poison including psycidelics
You are the biggest idiot ever, why dont you shut up and stop giving information about stuff you have no clue about ?? dumbass.

No shrooms cant kill you, nor any other edible mushroom, the only mushroom that can kill you is posinous ones.

M

million dollar

my boyfriend is taking a blood thinner and oxycontin.
because he broke both his legs a month ago.
we want to shroom but we need to know if that combination
is deadly?

M

million dollar

Quote: Originally posted by million dollar on 2004-Apr-15
my boyfriend is taking a blood thinner and oxycontin.
because he broke both his legs a month ago.
we want to shroom but we need to know if that combination
is deadly?
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Sha-manic

Staff member
There is a lot of misinformation in this topic: Psilocybe are not poisonous. You need about a room full of mushrooms for a toxic dose. The articles mentioned above are pure B.S.
We are translating a official document, that assesses the risks involved with psilocybe mushrooms. The document is made by the Dutch government and part of the UN risk assasments on drugs. It will be publicly available in the near future.
Bottom line is: Psilocybe Mushrooms pose low risk to personal health, minor risk to public health and low risk to public order. They can however trigger latent psychosis, which would surface later anyway.
For this reason I would advise against use of psilocybe mushrooms by people with psychiatric history.

G

I took over 30g of fresh(ish) ones on my first real try. I absolutely lost it for a while but it was still very enjoyable. I didnt really know what I was doing, and I dont reccomend anyone does this much for their first time. Im just grateful that you cant really OD on shrooms or i would have been done for.

Sha-manic

Staff member
Shrooms are no mao-i's and you can take them with zoloft, but it may not be a good idea as it does the opposite of zoloft.

JPWannaBe

i read that they could cause heart and lung failure but ive never heard that from any other source. the most way it can kill u is probobly some suicide on a bad trip

SHroomClouds

Quote: Originally posted by Miss America on 2003-Mar-16
Quick question- Can taking shrooms kill you?

yes they can any type of mushrooms are poison.

every mushroom is poison including psycidelics

Mira

Staff member
i do not agree with the previous answers that have been given.

the ministry of health of the nederlands has published a rapport( CAM RAPPORT), in february 2000, about the risks of magic mushrooms.

their research concludes that the health risks are minimal.

the only thing that can cause health problems, are panic attacks, which will, most likely, not occur when you are well informed.

for more info: www.magic-mushrooms.net.

devn24

you can overdose on shroomz though. people who take 10 grams are kind of pushin it. id say if you take 15 grams thers a high risk of dieing. im not to sure. and some mushroomz you should watch out for cause if you get the wrong kind it can send u to the hospital and the trip will be a bad one

Rewbs

id say if you take 15 grams thers a high risk of dieing.

Based on what do you think 15g is a lethal dose?!

Sure, you'd trip your pants off, possibly pass out, maybe throw up, but personally I really don't think you'd die.

If anyone knows of a case where the cause of death has been isolated to proper magic mushrooms, please post!

But anyway, you're right: the most likely way to die is if you eat the wrong kind of shrooms. "Know your source." ;)

In fact, here is an extract from the very anti-drug site http://www.recovery.org.uk. These guys really try hard to make all drugs sounds bad, and this is what they cam up with for psilocybe shrooms.

"Psilocybe mushrooms are not poisonous in the sense that no lethal dose is known. However, some people react to them with vomiting, nausea and stomach pains. No serious long-term physical damage to health has been reported although it must be noted that no research has been carried out to assess the effects of frequent use.

The main risk to health from eating philocybe mushrooms comes from mistaken identity - collecting and eating poisonous varieties of mushrooms instead of the ones possessing the desired hallucinogenic properites. Some of these other fungi can cause death or permanent liver damage within hours of ingestion."

Note that non-psilocybe magic mushrooms can contain quite destructive poisons along with the psychoactive components, so they have 'easily achievable' lethal doses. :)

Also check this page for information on the toxicity of magic mushrooms: http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/12208

PiercedTripper

magic mushrooms most definately can not kill you.

coming from experience of a very strange trip from 18g of fresh psylocybe cubensis, i can safely say that.

i would agreee with rewbs, the only way to cause death with mushrooms is to pick the wrong kind, ie: the death cap. easily mistaken for a hallucenogenic mushroom and can kill.

the only problem is people not seeking out the proper information on the mushroomas they pick.

g.w bush

yeah i say i have cracked to 15g mark of freah picked blue meanies easy an hell i am talking to ya and yeah REWBS i did trip my pants /shirt shoes and face totaly off

edd37

a reported fatality from liberty caps:

http://leda.lycaeum.org/?ID=10488

you might want to check this out too, it's a (not particularly good in my opinion) response to the article:

http://www.eleusis.ws/en/articles/vel-garsamfe.shtml

edd37

Don't let him take any! Oxycontin is a very powerful drug and many deaths have been caused from mixing it with other drugs. Go to http://www.oxyabusekills.com/

I don't know about blood thinners, but I doubt taking a blood thinner with any drug is a good idea as drugs (including alcohol) thin your blood anyway. I think i remember hearing that somewhere.

Don't let him do it!!!!!!

Kroy

damn seems to me that alot of ppl *KNOW* what they are talking about. I just want to comment on everyone's input. Good job. In my Opinion P.Cubensis would be very very very hard to OD and die from. ALTHO**** it's stated that even Psilocybin mushrooms contain toxins other than the ones we want to ingest. So becoming SICK*(vomitting, nasuea, cramps) is possible even in the smallest dose. Also there is a LBM(little brown mushroom) the DOES grow on dung, pastures etc. THAT IS NOT Phsycoactive and CAN be poisonous. But VERY LITTLE is know about it, I saw this while researching the other day but i have forgotten the site. =/ PLEASE PLEASE be careful when picking ur own shrooms. ALWAYS do spore prints....happy shrooming

edd37

Yeah there's quite a few mushrooms (depending on your country) that look like magics but are poisonous. KNOW YOUR sh*t!

Frogstomper

I've never heard of anyone dying as a direct result of shrooms. The most I've taken is 30g of fresh Mexicana (sp?) and I was fine. Although last weekend I took 15g and ended up puking 6 times over an hour and a half. Nasty nasty.

GreenHerbFairy

i tried shrooms a couple of weeks ago and i thourght i could fly and it was like being a little child again because i was amazed by everything i saw, and it was gd because i was surrounded by some of my closest friends so we watched kill bill and i could not stop laughing in the scene when lucy liu and the bride are in the snowy garden and that wooden water feature keeps going up and down, but when my friends left i was left with my other friend who was sitting for us as it was her house and she wasn't as nearly as happy as i was and i got soo happy that i didn't like it and when i went 2 sleep i had a really weird dream that showed me the future of what wud happen if i smoked too much dope lol .....mebe i should listen....NAH dope is toooo cool:( :eek:

suboriginal

1. The 'RIGHT' shrooms (Psilocybes) cannot kill you 'chemically', you cannot OD on them (possible exception, see point#2), the only risk is that you will do something silly while on them that kills you. This is a risk with any psychoactive drug (alcohol, pot etc)... I would advise anyone that has been diagnosed with mental problems (schizophrenia or deppression etc) to steer clear of shrooms, and advise anyone that is going to do shrooms to have a straight person around to 'mind' you, unless you're VERY experienced, and are not taking a massive dose. See the post at the shroomery.org re a recent tragedy occurred whereby a 19 YO shroomer bolted out of the shower and leapt through a window plumetting to his death from ten stories up. Even a straight minder probably could not have stopped this happening, I would not advise anyone shrooming to do it in a potentially dangerous place (like ten stories up, or a natural setting where there are deep hole/ mineshafts etc around), to be on the safe side.

2. A very valid point was made earlier in this forum and I was impressed with the subsequent advice, re 'mixing' prescribed drugs with shrooms. The effects of mixing shrooms with the myriad prescription drugs out there these days are simply unknown/ unresearched, and there is a real possibility that certain combinations could be deadly. The psilocin may react with the drug such that the potency/ physiological effects of the prescription drug are magnified, possibly (though unlikely) to a fatal extent. Also, though less likely in my humble but reasonably informed opinion, the prescription drug may interact with the psilocin/ psilocybin to create a chemical variant, that COULD be fatal. It is simply unknown, and I would advise anyone on a prescription drug to steer clear of shrooms, or at the very least experiment with MINUTE doses (less than 1 fresh shroom or 1 fresh gram) that are not enough to even cause any psychoactivity, but will be enough to see if the combination is volatile (read, potentially deadly). And increase the dose GRADUALLY... (by say, 1 gram each time). Safest, of course, to wait until you're off the prescription drug, if that is foreseeable.

3. Some of the 'wrong' (non Psilocybe) shrooms can kill you, which is why it is paramount to get an informed ID on any shroom you plan to eat... again, the shroomery.org is a fantastic place for advice/ ID's etc, you can post pictures there (unlike this site where you can only post a link to a picture ?!? Whacked!!!), and there is a heap of really well informed/ experienced peeps there that are very resposive to queries, just make sure you read the forum rules before posting, and supply as much info about the shroom as you can (country/ state, habitat/ substrate it was found on, bruising reaction, spore-print colour/ picture, size of shroom etc)...

Hope this helps...