First time experience

Palla

Man. I shroomed for the first time this weekend. And... oh man. Talk about a perception and life-altering moment. I took a fairly small dose because, hey, first time, but my friend who was watching out for me was amused at how hard I was tripping. We walked two miles into the forest, then sat down in this little field for the trip. It was... man. He became this weird mythical figure to my mind, the wood gnome. I didn't stop talking for three hours, just saying everything in my head. I got stuck in loops, where my thoughts would cycle on particular topics, especially on the idea of how I perceive the speed of what I'm saying, versus how fast my friend thought I was talking. I starting singing for awhile, because it felt right to sing instead of talk my ideas... Memories of the past became wrapped around me, as I had this knowledge that all moments exist in the same moment, and there is no past, but infinite past. I've done a lot of camping in my life and the woods kept shifting to places I've been before, fields I've been before, and I got the warm fuzzy feelings I had as a child, the carefree fun and just this amazingly good feeling. Even when stuff went weird, like my friend started to decay away like a corpse and the trees withered, it still wasn't scary, it was just... odd. All these ideas about how reality works and memory works were swimming in my head. My friend said he wished he had recorded it, I was saying crazy stuff. At one point, I figured out how time related to the Legend of Zelda theme.

It was crazy, to feel like I found the center of the goddamn universe. I could go anywhere in my memory, see everything in the world. I went through a phase where I felt like I could enter other people's minds, be inside their heads, see the world as it was without people. It was weirdly spiritual.

It didn't end the best, I was tired after walking back and wanted to go to sleep. We thought I was almost totally down, but when I was alone, things got a little freaky and I got really scared and stuff, but when it finally wore off, all was good, and now I'm the more relaxed for it and with a very, very different view of the world and apprciation for nature. I feel like I got so close to finding the answer to... everything. I saw the most beautiful sunset of my life that night. I don't think I'll do mushrooms again anytime soon but damn, it was a good ride.

I figured out how time related to the Legend of Zelda theme

Brilliant! :)

Sounds like you had a great trip. How much did you take?

When I have enlightening moments like that I find the fact that these substances are banned rather than being studied completely incomprehensible. Surely there is some form of truth behind these sensations.

Unfortunately, people who manage to record such experiences in structered ways (eg Terence McKenna, Timothy Leary etc...) are rarely taken seriouly by the "academic" community, because the discoveries made via psychoactive substances can never be linked to "solid fact". In particular, Strassman's "DMT: The Spirit Molecule" is nothing but speculation based on speculation based on speculation... On the scale of society, we will not be able to make use of the wisdom brought on by tripping unless we can somehow link it what is considered 'true' today, namely science.

I think the first step is to study neurology - after all, it is simply by upsetting neurotransmitter balances that we are able to have such visions. I have found John Ratey's "A user's guide to the brain" an excellent place to start.

Sorry - that was a bit of a random interlude. :)

Back